Friday 4 May 2012

Design Practice II//PPD//Buying a domain name.




Yesterday, after a week of "uuming" and "ahhing" about it, I finally got round to sorting out a domain name so that I could ensure that I could have a live and functional website as a result of my workshops in Dreamweaver in the up and coming weeks and months. Originally, I was set on trying to claim the domain name "sophiewilson" alone as my own, but was unsurprised (with such a common name) to find that both .com and .co.uk versions were already taken, and after searching, unfortunately couldn't find contact details from the owners of either domain names to negotiate me purchasing the rights to the URL name. Therefore, I decided to compromise and go for "sophiewilsondesign" which I feel is still quite broad, and gives me a wide spectrum of design to work with- still owning the "design" factor in the Sophie Wilson competition.


Also, as recommended by a few people, as well as seeing the effectiveness as used by some of my favourite designers (such as Illustrator Gemma Correll), I decided to buy both the .com and .co.uk versions of the domain name (much pricer!) so that I can find out how to link the two together to be redirected- and to cancel out the chance of any other Sophie Wilson designers taking the name as their own (and, as a result, potentially causing confusion). 


BREAK DOWN OF COSTS:


sophiewilsondesign.co.uk FOR TWO YEARS AT £5.98
sophiewilsondesign.com FOR ONE YEAR (SAVE COSTS!) AT £10.99
1 year personal email AT £11.88


VAT £5.77


TOTAL £34.62


... Not cheap, but obviously an essential expense. Now to buy hosting!...


No comments:

Post a Comment