Sunday 27 November 2011

Enterprise Task V Research//Retail.


As part of my aspiration to work Freelance once I have graduated from University, a great deal of earnings will come through shop and retail-based bulk orders from chain stores as well as individual boutiques. I have been fortunate enough to have already gained a small insight into the world of retail selling through monthly orders from Liverpool-based boutique, 'Nook & Cranny' (blogged below), which I hope, through the sale or return arrangement, we can keep a long and happy partnership in business. 

Blogged below are some examples of the retail environments I would ordinarily aspire to stock work for, on a smaller boutique scale. Throughout the rest of the year, I hope to approach more stores such as these with my work for possible partnerships or business deals to expand my portfolio of business contacts and networks.

NOOK & CRANNY


The Liverpool-based boutique store that I am currently selling at, on a sale or return 40% commission policy- this has proven a great starting point for me, and has taught me a little about sales relationships- with both positive and negative sides, given a lot of feedback and tips with points to improve which have been really helpful. For me, I felt really flattered to be contacted by the store owners themselves, selling alongside some of my much-admired contemporaries such as Steph Baxter and Kate Broughton.

BIRD'S YARD


Bird's Yard is a beautiful three-story vintage and handmade boutique in the heart of Leeds (around the corner from The Corn Exchange) which stocks a variety of unique creations from a variety of designers- including the work of one of my favourite Illustrators, Gemma Correll. Stocking in Bird's Yard would be a great platform- and I will keep close contact with them throughout my University education in the hopes of perhaps one day building a working relationship with them.

RIPE (GROPE LANE, SHREWSBURY)


BAJA (GROPE LANE, SHREWSBURY)


Back in my home county of Shropshire, and particularly in the near by town of Shrewsbury, there's a wide variety of wonderful boutique stores- two of my favourites being 'Ripe' and 'Baja' which sit side-by-side in 'Grope Lane'. The boutiques sell a wide variety of wonderful items, from fashion and accessories to stationary and homeware. Aspiring to develop my surface pattern work, I feel that these boutique stores would be a great addition to my future portfolio, and I would be very interested in building a work relationship with them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment