Sunday 27 November 2011

Enterprise Task V Research//Freelance Design.


As part of my research for personal development, and ambitions for group work within the Enterprise module, I have decided to look further into my particular areas of interest. 

One of these, and perhaps the most important in my own working practice is freelance design- something I feel passionate about perusing when I graduate from University.

In this research, I have decided to look at existing Graphic Design freelancers whom I admire to draw inspiration from their own ways of working. These designers include:

- Steph Baxter (Steph Says Hello)
- Julia Pott
- Memo
- Gemma Correll
- Anthony Zinonos

In the future, I hope to expand this research and develop a wider network of practitioners whom I may be able to contact for further advice and/or information.


STEPH BAXTER//STEPH SAYS HELLO
http://www.stephsayshello.co.uk/



Steph Baxter (also known as 'Steph Says Hello') is a freelance Graphic Designer/Illustrator working and living in Leeds, having recently graduated from her BA (Hons) Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art. She has worked for clients including Scholastic Books, Mother & Baby Magazine, Tigerprint, YCN, and Oh Comely Magazines- companies which I truly admire.
First introduced to Steph's work through a browsing session of Illustrative design on Flickr, I was delighted to find out the bright, happy and colourful designers of this designer whom I was beginning to greatly admire had just graduated from the course I would be enrolling onto in September (at the time just a few short months away). Great inspiration- Steph produces the work that I wish I'd thought of first- charming, fun, happy, and just delightful- you can't be unhappy when you're looking at Steph's work- and that's a style I really aspire to achieve for myself too.


JULIA POTT
http://juliapott.com/ 


Currently based in New York City, USA, Julia Pott graduated in 2011 with an MA in Animation from Royal College of Art, London- having previously studied for a BA (Hons) at Kingston. Julia's work is instantly recognisable- with lovingly and pain-stakinkgly hand-rendered work, which is applied through both traditional illustration, and stunningly animated designs (such as the screenshots from her short, 'Howard', featured above).
To me, Julia is a wonderful example of how to "do" freelance well- having such a distinctive, clear style- yet one that works over multiple platforms- from transfer tattoos, to grand murals- as a designer, she is as versatile as her work itself. 
Working for clients such as band, 'The Decemberists', and car manufacturer, Toyota, Julia is a wonderful example of how much you can achieve at a young age, fresh out of University- the dream.

MEMO
http://www.hellomemo.com/



Helen Entwisle, also known as 'Memo' is a Freelance Illustrator, and 2007 graduate of Norwich School of Art and Design with a degree in visual studies. Currently based in Leeds, Memo's work is regularly featured at arts and crafts fairs as a popular feature with a wide variety of aesthetically engaging, tactile and unique products to compile an impressive range of stock including screen printed bags, plush toys, zines, stationary, 
greetings cards, etc.
Having been lucky enough to meet Memo on a couple of occasions at craft fairs, her work is always bright, colourful and instantly engaging- a great skills with printed Graphic Design outcomes.


GEMMA CORRELL
http://www.gemmacorrell.com/



Gemma Correll is a Norwich-based illustrator, having previously graduated from a BA (Hons) Graphic Design degree from Norwich University College of the Arts (formely known as NSAD- Norwich School of Art).
For a long time, I have been an enormous fan of Gemma's work- of course, hugely entertained and in awe of her constant imagination, reinvention and humour in her designs- a trait I would love my work to have. Her work has certainly tapped into mainstream culture- with a huge fan base and wonderful global success, all in a few short years since graduating- one of my ultimate freelance inspirations.


ANTHONY ZINONOS
http://www.anthonyzinonos.com/
 
 
 Anthony Zinonos, again, another great source of inspiration, and another NSAD graduate (and, whilst we're talking coincidences, the fiancee of Gemma Correll!)- Anthony's work is quite different to my usual "design tastes"- a really tactile, print based style of working with a great deal of charm and apparent spontaneity which I have really grown to love- almost a Quentin Blake for the collage genre!- a style which looks so, as aforementioned, spontaneous, though I have no doubt it meticulously considered and planned in pre- production. 
Again, Anthony's client list is truly inspiring- working with designers and companies such as Chanel, Pandora, and Men's Health Magazine- Anthony is a great example of someone with truly unique work- a designer who meets a certain niche or requirement- and seems to hit the mark just right every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment