Wednesday 12 October 2011

Wrap It Up//Packaging Design for Design Development for Print.


Today we all took part in a feedback session for our recent one week printed packaging design task for our 'design production for print' module (images can be found here).
Assigned to groups of five, we were split into groups to assess the work of others in the Graphic Design group- to gain honest, constructive and ultimately hugely helpful feedback and comments. 

THE FEEDBACK I RECIEVED

STRENGTHS

* Design is consistent
* Nice stock
* Like colours
* Duotone things are nice
* Luke has seen the film and says it works well- we don't know as we have never seen it
(Luke commented that the context, design style, typeface, humour and colour schemes were all effective)

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT

* It might be obvious for Wes fans, but it needs more information for people who don't know who he is
* The writing in the logo needs to be lined up/positioned better
* The bottle carrier could have more on it, info? Cuts outs...imagery?
* Text needs centering
* Back of the net fold envelope doesn't line up and tab doesn't fit

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS

* A nautical theme- are all of his films nautical?
* Needs to persuade people rather than encouraging Wes fans
* Has an old-fashioned feel- doesn't really say 'film'
* Gives nothing away about what the films are
* Says 'films' but only references the one film

* Really great feedback from a set of new eyes. Admittedly, I feel I did get a bit lost in Wes fangirlism and forgot about what I really needed to aim to do- to promote the work, not just to a Wes fanbase, but to a wide audience, and this has been a great reminder that I need to educate, inform and persuade within my final designs, and as I progress with the project.

I totally agree with the comments stated, particularly, as aforementioned, in regards to the lack of information. Of course, as well as creating the promotion for the hypothetical event, this was unknown by the other group- and therefore I need to consider the information I include with my design a lot more carefully than I have been.
Really helpful notes, I'm looking forward to my future developments and designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment