Saturday 4 August 2012

Studio Visits//Qubik.



www.qubik.com

Yesterday I was lucky enough to have been invited along to the home studio, Qubik, which was established and directed by designer, and past Leeds College of Art tutor, Joe Gilmore, whom, unfortunately, I hadn't had the opportunity to meet whilst he was still teaching.

The studio itself was great, really well-lit, clean, yet, of course, being in Joe's family home, it still felt warm and relaxing, as opposed to many studios, which end up being far more sterile working environments. It was great to spend an hour talking about Joe's practice, showing me some publications and typographically-led designs that he's currently working on, as well as a multitude of wonderful examples of work that he finds inspirational, which are very welcome additions to the studio shelves. 

I was also lucky enough to be prompted to show Joe my design portfolio, and, in reflection to his own design practice, seemed to be really interested in my type and layout design work, which is certainly something I want to develop and work on next year, as, despite it being something I've perhaps neglected a little so far in my design practice, it's certainly something that I really enjoy.

To top off a really fun and interesting afternoon, Joe kindly offered me his time in the way of a placement, which we've agreed to talk more about in September when our schedules are a little more organised, though I would be looking to go in for one day a week for the academic year, which, I know, is just a great opportunity, and am really excited about taking up.

Some of the students from Graphic Design that have worked with Joe in terms of placements include wonderful designers such as Arthur Carey, Aaron Skipper and Tim Wan, and to be added to that list is something I'm so looking forward.

Bring on September!


No comments:

Post a Comment