Friday 1 February 2013

Personal Development III | Portfolio review with Ben Haworth


Yesterday I had the opportunity to have a portfolio surgery/review sesssion with Ben Haworth of The Beautiful Meme, which offered me some really invaluable and constructive advice in regards to my portfolio. Below, are notes and comments from the session, and possible considerations for the development of both my work and portfolio.

I really enjoyed talking with Ben, and feel like the feedback was really valuable.
Over the weekend I hope to make the necessary edits and amendments to my portfolio to hopefully reprint it before my trip to Tayburn in Edinburgh next week for a studio visit and portfolio review.

-

NOTES

- Don't need so much body copy. Most of the time I will be there to talk through my portfolio anyway, so it's not necessary. Be short and sweet.
- Photography work is really strong, bring this into work more and contextualise.
- All logos should be contextualised- only add the strongest work.
- Really like the 'Paul Danks Property Development' logo, conceptual and clever. Contextualise this and produce brand stationary for an additional brief throughout the Final Major Project to add to my portfolio upon graduation and seeking employment.
- Layout good- clear, strong. Obviously skilled at using type.
- Make more of the brands and brand identities within my work- show off details within my work- don't  wash them out.
- Strong photography, keep it up- but make sure you document clear, high- impact details.
- Don't be afraid to use more than one page to show off your work/briefs. Create a pitch- like design... logo boldly on one page, more print details/collateral on the next.
- Contextualise design a day images or they don't mean a great deal.
- Keep collaborating and working with others, this will set me in good stead for a career in branding and brand development.
- Be confident with work and how it's presented- sell the hard work and skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment