Sunday 22 May 2011

Speaking from Experience: Final Designs.


Documenting my final printed designs so far- tea towels yet to be printed- in my 'Designer Diet' freshers pack- a guide to how to sustain a healthy, high-energy diet to support the shift in work load for the first year Graphic Design students.


The comparison between my original prints with the light blue shade (left) and my new designs in mint green (right). I'm really appreciative of the final crit feedback session- I now think that the green is far more suitable, and still remains as eye-catching and bright.


My final swatchbook- complete with an introduction page, explaining the results of tiredness upon the course, as well as ten recipes each for breakfast, lunchtime and teatime- each recipe containing one of the "top ten" high-energy foods I have highlighted.
Although I am pleased with the aesthetic of the design, a few things about it do frustrate me, that I couldn't get quite right given the tight deadline remaining- a few of the recipes don't quite meet the criteria I was originally focusing on- not being able to cook in half an hour, being more expensive than I would have liked to reproduce on a student budget. Given more time, more research and planning would have been taken for sure.


My selection of green products.
Definately a print-based designer, I love tactile objects, and the joy when something prints well. This project has definately taught me that print is the way forward for my practice, affirming it more so than ever before.


Throwing in a few cheeky recipes to capture the imagination of the student audience- for instance, a kiwi martini- as we all have to have a balance between regime and fun!


The green colouring, I found, also works a lot better with the white reversed-out type, bringing it forward, not competing with it- ensuring that it is both bold and easily read.


Considering the amount of changes and alterations I have made throughout the entirety of this five-week project, I am actually quite pleased with the results I have achieved. Whilst there are still many things I would change, it's been a real learning process, and it has shown me that I can produce a vast amount of work in a short time to an aimable standard, and that I should have more confidence in my ability.
From the feedback I have recieved from fellow Graphic Design classmates and students, tiredness is indeed a re-accuring issue within the course, and hopefully, I have been able to take suggestive steps towards a solution, or, at very least, a remedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment