Wednesday 15 June 2011

TF1 blog commision.


Recently, I've been comissioned to create a poster design to advertise the local (to my hometown, Telford) blog, TF1, created by friend and Journalism student, Ben Nielsen.
After discussions about the design, Ben left me with quite a free reign, and few limitations. As the poster would be present in local librarys, shops, etc, I have made the concious decision to use colour (2 plus stock?) in my designs- there are so many bad, photocopied designs posted around, I would really like to create an eye-catching and memorable design which would provide more traffic for the site. Perhaps using perforated tags so people can tear off and take away the information, more of a prompt to visit?



A few initial sketches. After discussing my potential ideas for the designs to Ben, I spent half an hour drawing up a few very quick designs- just to see how he responded to them- if he liked them, or infact wanted something completely different to what I had imagined. Thankfully, he really liked the design, and our joint favourite was the design in the bottom right-hand corner, so I went on to explore this and to design in Adobe Illustrator.



I used a map of the Telford & Wrekin region (sourced from google images) to trace around for my main image on the poster design.
I wanted to encorporate more elements of the local area into the design, and make people easily distinguish the local origins and source of the blog, so I decided to encorporate the dark red/maroon tone used in the council's logo into the design also.


The final design for the poster- I experimented a little throughout the process, looking at different compositions, typefaces, colours etc. This was the first "final draft" design which I sent to Ben, which I was surprisingly happy with- I feel that I have become far more critical about my work, and now know when something can be complete, and not to over-crowd it or work too much at something to blind my final view of it. 


Fortunately for me, Ben also really liked the designs, so I went about printing them straight away, to ensure they could be delivered to him as soon as possible- providing more traffic and visitors to the blog at this early stage of it's growth.


The finishing touch- perforated tabs, an easily and accesible way for people to take down the blog information- no need for a pen and paper- so no excuses!

To be delivered to Ben by the end of the week and distributed around the local Telford and Wrekin area through shopping centre notice boards, public libraries, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment