Wednesday 8 June 2011

Alex Warren Architectural Design Business Cards.


A half-day brief set by my partner (in crime) Alex Warren- a young, graduating architect. With his graduation show at Leeds Metropolitan University fast-approaching, we had discussed getting some business cards designed to hand-out, but, reliably, other commitments got in the way, and with the show opening tomorrow evening, had half a day to design and print the cards.

At Alex's yesteday evening, we began sketching up ideas, and I brainstormed several factors:

* colours: black, silver, grey, white- clean cut, minimal- reflective of Alex's style
* pt size: no smaller than 8pt, readible, use of hierarchy with logo's, subheaders, etc
* stock: white card, cartridge paper, watercolour paper- stick to white card, less detail the better
* size: rectangular- standard 53.98x85.6mm, professional, simple
* typefaces: ISO CP, Euphemia, Geo Sans Light, (Gill Sans)

Fortunately, Alex had already designed a logo for his portfolio submissions work, so really, I was just tieing the loose ends together.







 (Above) A few developments before choosing the final design. The jpeg file Alex sent me with his logo was far too pixelated, so I traced the image in Illustrator to ensure it was as crisp and accurate as possible. 

Obviously, having the relationship I do with Alex meant that I could work very well with him, and chatting about design ideas was really easy- a great excercise for me, as I felt really relaxed and happy with the final outcome, being very truthful and open about our opinions of the design with one another.

Also, the design is far more minimal than I would usually design, so this has given me a bit more confidence to push for that simplicity, and to stop over-complicating things as much as I do.



Typefaces used:

-Euphemia
-GeoSans Light Italic

Stock:
-150gsm white card

for more of Alex's working practice, visit his blog at www.alexwarrenarchitecture.blogpsot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment