Saturday 16 October 2010

alphabet soup, task 2: the final outcome.



The picture above shows a section from my A1 typographic final outcome sheet, designed and inspired based upon the personality of classmate Chloe Wilkinson, as I have stated in previous posts.

After many, many hours of hand-drawing and tracing my letters, I was very pleased and relieved to have finally completed the sheet ready for our presentation crit at 1.30pm on the 15th october.

It was great to work with five other pairs to see the variety and thought process behind each typeface, and I felt genuinely inspired by what people had created.


 Different scales of scanned (originally hand-rendered) and printed name badges- the top used for the 4.5x9cm badge scale.
I was very glad to see that the type mainted both it's readability and legibility, despite the increasingly reduced scale.

When it came to our presentation, I got some really useful feedback from Chloe, fellow classmates, and my two tutors, Amber, and Jo alike- all the comments completely justified, with many of the points I could understand, or had even anticipated being mentioned before the crit- issues that I could ammend with the typeface, or try to improve for the module hand-in date in November.

The main points and issues raised were:

-the type looked a little hair- like, perhaps not communicating the concept of nature's textures as effectively as i could.
-try to define the style- take a step back from my thought process and try to make the concept less complicated. simple is often more effective!

actions to be taken are:

-experiment in lower case, to see how versatile the font is
-work with other textures: wood, vines, grass, feathers- think natural!
-try both a more feminie style font, as well as a bolder, more masculine font- really EXPERIMENT!
-control the contrasts!


throughout the next week i am looking forward to playing around with lots of different styles and directions in which my typeface may take, and seeing how much further i can push myself out of the comfort zone and into a new mindset brimming over with creativity!


No comments:

Post a Comment