Friday 1 October 2010

Alphabet Soup Evaluation.


Visual Thinking: Design Principles

This short run-through of questions and answers show my opinions and thought after our group crit from the past week's 'Alphabet Soup' project.

Name of designer: Sophie Wilson [sw95224]
How well does this answer the brief?: In hindsight, and reflection from fellow team members within my group, I can see that I certainly went off on a tangent throughout my work. I was, admittedly, having real trouble grasping any inspiration at the beginning of the week, and with only a few days left, I decided to follow along with the concept as oppossed to the font style, which I have discovered now was a valid route, but not neccessarily the emphasis on the font that was desired in the first place.
How well has the idea been visually explored?: If there is anything that I can come back from with positivity in this project it's the outcome of my final designs. I was rather determined to create cut-out designs to create a softer aesthetic that the clincal sounding word 'divide', and although it was undoubtedly very time consuming, i'm still very glad i did it. Again, although I was pleased with my designs, from my feedback I can see that it didn't neccessarily meet to the design criteria, therefore, I shall need to experiment more in the next few days to catch up on my work.
What are the strengths of the resolution?: As i have previously mentioned, and was bought up by many of the members within the group crit, they quite liked the concept and ideas behind the type series. I will be the first to admit that at first the concept is not entirely obvious, and explaination is vital- therefore, it isn't as visually informative as I would have liked.
How could it be improved?: Again, as I said, from the briefing, I really didn't understand the typeface direction that my work should have been following. Therefore, whenever I have some free time (preferably over this weekend) I will show more experimentations and try to develop my ideas further and more creatively (sort of like working backwards- though hopefully this will give me more background support for this project).
General comments...: I have come back from my feedback session, to be honest, feeling quite deflated with the response. I have worked very hard to create this set, and it's just unfotunate that i misunderstoof the brief from the very beginning. I will do my very best to ammend this project and catch up on any work, however, there is a very small time window to achieve this before my next project brief, so, really, it will be just a matter of time management.
I will, however, at very least, ammend three of the series of letters to a black background (as suggested to avoid distraction from the others) as suggested by my fellow crit members, and then attempt to analyse and ammend my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment