Saturday 16 October 2010

alphabet soup task 2 evaluation.


Personal evaluation from my alphabet soup task 2 project:

Referring to the typeface you have designed answer the following:

Which personality traits did you choose to respond to and apply to the typeface?
I found myself initally quite confused as to which direction my typeface should be taking. Even from the brief conversation I had with Chloe on the first day of briefing, in those short ten minutes, I was mentally bombared with lots of different personality traits that Chloe had- each not very specific or dominant, therefore, I had my pick as to which I should focus on.

When it came to designing the typeface, I decided to settle on perhaps the most fun and creative choice- her free-spirited personality combined with a subtle elegance, also relating to her rural upbringing in Cambridgeshire- which was a really prominent, and obviously important factoe in her life.

What are the reasons behind the design decisions you have made from the typeface?
Really, in hinsight, I perhaps involved too many elements within my typeface, and as my tutors rightly put it "tried to please everybody".
I decided to try and encorporate several elements of Chloe's personality and personal tastes- using uppercase, serif letters as she requested, with a classic font (based upon Century Schoolbook) and a bold style to reflect her personality.
I went on to fill the typeface with a natural texture reflecting roots (inspired, initially, by mangrove roots), woodgrain, bark, etc- to represent her countryside up-bringing.
I then us

In what ways are the results effective?
I think, in context the design works, but perhaps not so much in aesthetic terms as I originally would have wanted to- I am going to work on experimentation and development of the series to see how I can progress with my visual communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment