Sunday 21 October 2012

Professional Development III//Duke Studios Visit.




On Friday I was fortunate enough to attend a group visit to Duke Studios (which I had organised earlier on in the month) down by Leeds Gallery and the College of Music to see the open workspace facilities which the studio offers to designers.

The studio facilities, and owners, James and Laura were great, and James was kind enough to show us around the various spaces available, including a charming freelance picnic area, individual desks, laser cut and woodwork facilities, as well as an innovative system of cardboard-construction studios (flatpack wizardry). 

Perhaps my favourite area of the studios was the 'Not Bored Room', inspired by the character of the Duke, mahogany clad and Victoriana- inspired, as if we had just walked into Charles Darwin's study with a model of the solar system and a taxidermy parrot in the corner. Wonderfully eccentric.

The visit was really inspired, and I'm thoroughly glad I went. It's definitely given me an insight into more options post-graduation at a really affordable and desirable price. A definite consideration for the future career path.

No comments:

Post a Comment