Sunday 24 April 2011

What is a line?: Final Design and Resolution.


Coming to the final stages of my design process, having faced many unforseen and unfortunate circumstances, I feel very releaved and quite pleased with the results I have achieved in my work. This blog post showcases the final two days in my design and print stages...


Due to an unforseen problem with my InDesign software, and unable to access University facilities, I constructed a "mock-up" makette of my book designs- ensuring that each page would be properly formatted, trimmed, and presented.


In my final design, I chose to use a black paper with off-white cartridge paper overalay for the centre of the book, and with a black card and cartridge paper outside- with a slight margin lip around the outside for both an aesthetic and practical detail- largely to reduce the need to trim down the booklet once complete and sewn together (which can sometimes comprimise the detail or contents of the inside of the book).
My measurements were: 
outside lip: 4.5"x6.5"
inside black paper: 4"x5.5"
inside cartridge paper: 3.7"x5.3"

these measurements left me with enough room to create a clean cut and professional-looking design, whereupon no content was comprimised.

On the front cover, I decided to display a vectored version of some of the constellation atlas work I had recently been working on, and felt that this crisp computer-rendered design worked even more effectively than the hand-drawn style, and I like the minamalist, geometric look which I believe works well with the primary typeface used, GeoSans Light- an elegant, yet modern sans serif type. 


...A more formal back cover, adhering the the infographics and informative requirements of my personally-written brief.


...After initial attempts to design a singular book, I found that with my particular weight of stock, this would have produced a book that was far too thick to have enabled easy and readible information. Dividing the books into four ensured an even number of pages and constellations within each book.


...Again, I felt that a parchment bind was most appropriate for my books- unfussy and strong. Originally, I wanted to encorporate a metallic silver colouring into my designs via the method of production of screenprinting. Though reasons previously stated on my blog, this wasn't possible, however, my simple addition of a metallic silver thread as the binding material ensures the consistency within my other designs, and a pleasing aesthetic detail in the booklet series.


...the books laid flat with content easily read- the left hand side page with text left-aligned, and the right...aligned to the right!
I think this format distinguishes more of a seperation between the text and makes each constellation easier to understand- visually and mentally making a seperation within the texts, and a little more simple to read without getting too lost or "bogged under" with a text-heavy booklet. 


Overall, despite having to face many, aforementioned challenges, I am reasonably happy with how my booklets turned out. Although they are really nothing like how I originally invisaged or intended them to look, I feel I have comprimised well- an important tool in design, and has made me appreciate each process and the time each one takes just a little more. 
I feel proud of the time I have been able to turn my project and designs around in- printing, producing the booklets and binding them all in the space of a day. With enough determination, I feel that I have challenged this project and hopefully have explored and developed it to a high level.

No comments:

Post a Comment