Friday 19 November 2010

Alphabet Soup: Typographic Re-Design.


In response to feedback, I have begun to re-evaluate and revise my Alpahabet Soup typography design, inspired by Chloe's personal tastes and interests.
Although the critiqueing gave me the feedback and opinions that perhaps my designs were too elaborate (and therefore not communicating as effectively as they could), the basis of the design was still solid and promising- particularly the letterforms which I based my designs upon- and therefore, decided to go back to this point, and reviewed and analysed a few more font series of the same style (traditional, serif) to work with.

The font above: felix titling font through adobe illustrator- classic, bold- unusual curvature to the glyphs- the question mark and ampersand don't really look as if they come from the same series?

Arabic Typesetting typeface- fluid, smooth lines- really like this typeface, though perhaps too much empahsis on the serifs- quite bold in comparison to the curvature of the bowls, counters, etc?...


Andalus Regular- A bit too "OTT" in the italic style of the glyphs.
 

Andalus Lowercase Regular- I prefer this lowercase style to the uppercase above, but I still find the italics a little uneccesary and elaborate for Chloe's traditionalist, straight-forward personality.
Century Schoolbook lowercase- definately my favourite typeface, and, of course, the lowercase version that I used for Chloe's original, though, unusually, this is the first time I have used it (Chloe originally stated her preference for uppercase- but perhaps it is time I went against her request, for the purposes of experimentation, of course!)







After several experiements with the century schoolbook lowercase typeface, I am pleased with my final design I have created (directly above), in a style which, in reflection, I believe suits Chloe a lot more than my original design, and infact refelecting on this re-evaluation experience- a classical style with two very different sides- shown in both her personality and used in my colouring contrast of black and white tones, weight of line, etc...


No comments:

Post a Comment