TEN STEPS TO A FUTURE YOU from the works of some great thinkers.
- Us as practitioners.
- Self improvements and practical knowledge.
BASED UPON the works of...
- Steven R. Covey ('Seven habits of highly effective people').
- Laurence Kholberg (Psychologist- studies the way that people behave).
- Karl Hopkins (alumni of LCA BAGD-er, now a millionaire! Lives locally, attends college network events and young business investor.
TEN STEPS TO A FUTURE YOU
- Stimulus//Response (Animals)
- Stimulus//Choice//Response (People)- We make the choice of how we respond
Proactivity in business...
We have a sphere of influence- more contacts and industrial experience will push and develop this influence.
Circle of concern- expanding the areas of work you want to be part of/work within.
What concerns you, current circle of influences.
You have some influence, need to expand network (suppliers, community, practitioners, etc).
Cannot directly influence, we cannot affect (politics, technology, etc).
- A vision of yourself for the future.
- Create a personal mission statement.
- Extend the mission into long term goals.
BUSINESS PLAN// Working life and practice development.
LIFE PLAN// Family, home, living, etc.
PRIORITY MANAGEMENT// A balance of business and life plan will help to develop this- help us to prioritise.
BUSINESS VISION// All these elements (above) will help to create our business vision.
The more you develop your plans, the more chance there is (through networking) that you will be helped and encouraged along the way.
"LIFE IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ARE BUSY MAKING OTHER PLANS"
- John Lennon
"BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND"
- Karl Hopkins (sold design business after ten years- his initial plans)
Provide clear explanations and language to people- talk about benefits, not processes.
THINK- Who are you talking to?
CREATE- Clear messages
INSPIRE- People with your creativity
What could you do for a client in order to change their business?
CONSIDER ALL OF THESE FACTORS WHEN BUILDING ONLINE PORTFOLIOS AND/OR WEBSITES
- Put first things first
- Keep a proper balance
- Stick to your personal mission
TIME//STUDY//SOCIAL LIFE//REST//MONEY >> RESULTS
- Think win/win
- Seek outcomes and relationships that are mutually beneficial
- Do a favour to gain a favour
DON'T work with people that aren't going to benefit you in the long run.
KARL HOPKINS- Yorkshire & Humber Enterprising Britain Competition judge.
- Opens networking and advice events- great opportunity for business "mingling". Karl also gets the opportunity (mutual benefit) to see new, exciting businesses and potentially make investments. Also promotes his existing investments- everyone wins.
KOHLBERG'S THEORY- Categories of workers/practioners
PRE CONVENTIONAL (egocentric)
- I want
- Why should I?
- Nobody listens
- Short term
CONVENTIONAL (young professional/negotiator)
- I would be happy to
- Your needs
- I understand
- Medium term
POST CONVENTIONAL (macro environment- want to affect communities. Cannot easily function without one another in a team. Collective practice)
- We can
- Mutual benefit
- Long term
- Pause to listen- give all your attention.
- Empathise- "walk in someone's shoes".
- Don't re-itterate or interpret- just listen.
- Do you really know how they feel, or are you just saying how you feel?
Give a chance to listen to someone- we all need times for people to completely listen without interruption. At this point we can learn something unexpected.
Seek first to understand before you seek to be understood.
Learn from your differences.
(eg companies such as Coca- Cola, Chanel, Jimmy Choo, etc)
- Deliver a quality and performance every time.
- You TRUST the brands.
In our practice we must seek integrity and consistency so customers return and promote- you can become known for great service... as well as bad.
- Synergy multiples your talents.
- Work with other experts outside your field to achieve greatness.
- James Dyson
- Antony Gormley
- Everest expiditions
Hollywood model>> (eg for film 'Avatar') 600- 800 credits//All freelance or small businesses.
9// PIT STOP
- Sharpen up, bolt on, get new stuff.
- Rest- re-knew, re-vitalise.
- Explore, challenge, excite.
- Extinguish your fears.
- Exude confidence.
- Instil faith.
AND always remember... you are only as good as you aspire to be.